And why on earth would they drop their City status...they have everything to gain from this deal and nothing to lose.
seems like it is pretty much a done deal that the City School will combine with the County for 2 new schools. Will Norton keep it's status as separate from the county or give up it city status and become another town in the county?
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
And why on earth would they drop their City status...they have everything to gain from this deal and nothing to lose.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson
First off it's not a done deal 2/3 of the people in the city have come out and said we need to stay outta this mess and will voice that opinion if an when it goes to City Council, I have talked to two School Board members who says in their opinion the issue is dead they want to remain independent, but thats not a majority of the vote.
As far as the City status we have been below those numbers since Mr. Ward was still in High School, once it's granted it's the Cities decision to rescind it or keep it.
Wouldn't they have to drop the city status and join back in the county if they want to join in with the consolidation?
[COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]
Unless I'm mistaken, its well established around the country that neighboring cities and counties have been allowed to create metro-type agreements whereby they share many essential services and functions without actually surrendering their autonomy. I believe TN does it quite a bit and Charlotte, NC is another I think. Some may already exist in VA - look around Richmond, Tidewater or Northern VA areas. Its basically up to all the governing bodies including the General Assembly to sign-off on it.
......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......
yeah, I read everything in the online papers and read all the posts here & on the Cumb. board and all I've seen was about a year ago when the City guy said they weren't interested.
Bookmarks